Agenda and minutes

Venue: Virtual Meeting - Online access

Contact: Andy Carswell  01628 796319

Items
No. Item

179.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 - EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC

To consider passing the following resolution:-

 

“That under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the remainder of the meeting whilst discussion takes place, on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1-7 of part I of Schedule 12A of the Act."

Minutes:

RESOLVED UNANIMOUSLY: That the motion to exclude the public for the remainder of the meeting be approved.

180.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 217 KB

To receive any declarations of interest.

181.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 205 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting held on April 15th 2021.

182.

Kickback Activity

To take part in an activity organised by Kickback members.

183.

Kickback/PACT/Care Leavers' Forum updates

To receive updates on Kickback, PACT and the Care Leavers’ Forum.

184.

Virtual School Annual Report pdf icon PDF 138 KB

To discuss and note the contents of the report.

Additional documents:

185.

Reviewing Service Annual Report pdf icon PDF 47 KB

To discuss and note the contents of the report.

Additional documents:

186.

Children In Care Impact Report pdf icon PDF 164 KB

To note and discuss the report, and for a verbal report on Children in Care birthday and Christmas cards.

Additional documents:

187.

Annual Fostering Report

To discuss and note the contents of the report.

Minutes:

Matthew Edwards told the Forum that the numbers of fostered children was growing in both Richmond and Twickenham and Windsor and Maidenhead. Ofsted had carried out an online review, which was overwhelmingly positive with no recommendations. The biggest challenge was trying to capture the child's experience in the process. Matthew Edwards reported that foster parents did not always feel part of the team as they were not included in all meetings.

 

There were some exciting developments such as the partnership with the Anna Freud Centre and Department for Education, looking at reflective fostering practice. More work was being done around children's views being captured and financing was being changed. The Forum was told that three things were going to be developed further in RBWM over the next year: establishing Familylink, which was breaks for families with children with disabilities; increasing supported learning for people who look after children over 18 years of age; and increasing child fostering.

 

The Chairman thanked Matthew Edwards for the highlights of the report. The Chairman asked for more information about what feedback had been received from foster parents about not feeling part of the team and involved, and how this was going to be addressed. Matthew Edwards said there would be an escalation route, so if foster parents were not getting plans within five working days then that could be escalated. It was known that social workers had so much paperwork to do but it was also important that foster parents had the sufficient information to care for a child. There should be zero tolerance to the paperwork not being there.

 

Councillor Sharpe asked if here was a shortage of foster carers in the area. Matthew Edwards said 17 foster carers were required to offer a local in-house placement for every child. The numbers were heading in the right direction and numbers were up from the previous year but more were required.

 

Councillor Tisi thanked Matthew Edwards for all the impact examples in the report, as this helped members to understand the cases and make it real. Councillor Tisi said that it would be nice to hear from the foster carers to help demystify the role of a foster carer and help make it achievable for others. It would also be useful to explain the different types of fostering so people understood.

 

Debbie Hartrick said there had been no impact on figures of dental visits. Debbie Hartrick would be bringing the Annual Report to the September meeting.

 

Matthew Edwards and the Forum members thanked all carers for doing a wonderful job in caring for the children.

 

ACTION: Lin Ferguson to send communication to all foster carers to thank them for the wonderful job they were doing.

 

Elaine Keating said she could not do her job without foster carers. She suggested that new foster carers have a session with her and Kickback to get an insight.

Suzanne Parrott said she was willing to help to get new foster carers and it was important to make them  ...  view the full minutes text for item 187.

188.

Dates of Future Meetings

To note the dates of future meetings as follows:

 

September 7 2021

October 19 2021

December 8 2021

February 9 2022

April 5 2022