Agenda and minutes

Venue: Desborough 2 & 3 - Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Wendy Binmore  01628 796251

Audio-recording: To listen, click here or to download and listen later, right click and save as an mp3

Items
No. Item

98.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Parish Councillor Harry Clasper following his resignation from the Parish Council.

99.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 95 KB

To confirm the minutes of the previous meeting.

Minutes:

RESOLVED UNANIMOUSLY: That the minutes of the meeting held on 24 January 2019 be approved subject to the following amendments:

 

Ewan Larcombe and Ian Thompson to be added to the list of attendees and the typo of Mands Lane to be corrected to Lands Lane.

100.

Actions arising from previous minutes

To confirm the actions from the previous meeting.

Minutes:

Brianne Vally to invite someone from the River Thames Scheme (RTS) to attend the next Flood Group meeting to answer questions on how the RTS will pass through the planning phase.

 

Brianne Vally confirmed the invitation was extended but a representative of the RTS was unable to attend. Brianne Vally has circulated the invitation for the next Flood Liaison Group meeting and requested attendance from the RTS.

 

Alice Keeping and Matthew Peapell to bring an update on enlarging the sewage capacity at Old Windsor to the next Flood Liaison Group meeting.

 

The Forum agreed to carry this action forward to the next meeting as there was no representative from Thames Water in attendance.

 

The Flood Risk Manager to identify potential capital schemes that should be moved forward and then liaise with Sean Maskrey for match appropriate funding to the schemes.

 

Simon Lavin, Flood Risk Manager confirmed Parish Councils needed to identify potential schemes and they would be taken forward with the commissioning team. The commissioning team would then take them forward with contractors.

 

The Chairman to add a report on the Thames Regional Flood and Coastal Committee to the agenda for the next meeting.

 

The Chairman confirmed he would provide a verbal update during the RBWM Update item on the agenda.

 

The Clerk of the Flood Liaison Group to email the contact details of the Group’s Members to the Flood Risk Manager and the Joint Emergency Planning Manager

 

The Clerk confirmed this action had been completed.

 

The Joint Emergency Planning Manager to email Members an invitation to attend a teleconference of flood wardens.

 

Carolyn Richardson, Joint Emergency Planning Manager confirmed the teleconference would be up and running with invitations extended to  Members prior to the start of the flooding season.

101.

Update from the Environment Agency

To receive the above verbal update.

Minutes:

Brianne Vally from the Environment  Agency (EA) stated there were no real matters to raise. She provided members with an update on the RTS and explained that a final outline design had been developed and produced; the Datchet and Horton Archaeology Survey was continuing until the end of spring 2019 and the EA were continuing to work with partners and businesses to raise the funding required for the RTS. She added a planning application was being worked on and she was hoping to update the Flood Liaison Group at the next meeting.

 

For a timeline of dates on the RTS, Members needed to consult the website as that is where all the latest information was shared, along with the outline design of the scheme.

 

Simon Lavin, Flood Risk Manager stated there could be an issue if the planning application went to Panel without full funding in place. The Chairman stated he attended a presentation on the RTS given by David Bennington at the Coastal Flood Group on funding for the scheme and if the scheme was in a viable position. However, some partners were not prepared to commit to funding until the scheme was post planning. The whole scheme was being dealt with through the Surrey Council Hub. He added it was a critical year for the project with funding options provisionally agreed. If the scheme went ahead, there were questions as to whether it was a viable scheme, and if it was, it would then go through the planning phase with discussion between government and local authorities ongoing. The Chairman explained the Coastal Flood Group was waiting to hear about possible funding and an update at the next Regional Flood Forum would be made available which he would report on at the next Flood Liaison Group meeting.

 

Councillor Beer expressed grave concern about the lack of progress on the RTS. The Chairman confirmed any concerns should be raised directly with the EA. Brianne Vally stated the structure and number of team members had been reduced to focus on funding gaps. There might be commercially sensitive solutions which could not be shared with the public but, the EA were working hard and looking at partnership funding. The Chairman informed the Forum that enabling works were still progressing as well as all the archaeological works. Brianne Valley stated the archaeological works had begun now so that when funding was in place and the scheme could begin, the archaeological works would not hold the scheme up by two years. Once the funding gap had been sorted, all the surveys will have been done and then the works can begin immediately without delay.

102.

Update from RBWM

To receive the above update.

Minutes:

Simon Laving, Flood Risk Manager provided Members with a brief update on the Datchet Barrel Arch. He explained that Volkers had fitted covers by the ditch up to Slough Road and very little silt had been lifted. Volkers had lifted a number of covers and were looking to carry out some camera work. Ian Thompson stated he received the results of a survey carried out by WSP that showed a lot of silt. The Flood Risk Manager responded the survey WSP carried out was at the Barrel Arch end.

 

Ian Thompson stated some drain covers by the gullys were blocked by silt and water could not get into the arch. He added secondary drains had been fitted that ran across Memorial Green  into the soak away as a road gully was blocked solid and that showed there was a problem. When cleared, the gullies took all the extra water but, the water did not seem to get into the barrel arch.

 

v  Action – The Flood Risk Manager to let Ian Thompson know when the camera work was being carried out by Volkers.

 

The Flood Risk Manager provided Members with a brief update on Wraysbury Weir. He explained Volkers had been to look at the site and the field was very wet so they would wait for the field to dry out and then they would carry out the works. The Chairman said Volkers were looking to install sand and concrete bags. He added there were obstructions at the Wraysbury Drain and if there was any money left over following the works being carried out, that could be used to clear the obstructions.

 

The Flood Risk Manager stated there was no update on the Local Flood risk Management Strategy and he still needed to meet with the team on that. Councillor Beer queried when the meetings with Old Windsor and Wraysbury Parish Councils would take place with the Joint Emergency Planning Manager. The Joint emergency Planning Manager confirmed that she was still looking to arrange meetings and that the whole team would want to attend the visit; they had visited Datchet and Cookham so their next meeting would be Old Windsor and Wraysbury, possibly in May or june 2019.

103.

Parish Flood Group Update

To receive the above update.

Minutes:

Ian Thompson announced that Harry clasper had resigned as a Parish Councillor and as the Parish Flood Group Chairman and it had been agreed that a new Flood Group Chairman would only be reinstated during times of flood.

 

Ian Thompson directed Members to page 10 of the agenda pack which referred to the accuracy of flood maps. He had brought to the meeting two flood maps from the flooding event in 2014 in Datchet. One map showed the actual flooding that occurred,  and the other map was a LIDAR map which showed much greater flooding than actually occurred at that time. The LIDAR map showed flooding occurring in some areas that did not flood at all and other areas that did flood but was not shown on the LIDAR map. Ian Thompson added that if the LIDAR map showed all historic flooding, the map would show layers. He stated there needed to be a baseline starting with the flooding event in 2014 and go forward from there as that would then be accurate. Brianne Vally from the EA explained the flood map provided by Ian Thompson did not show where the data was collated from. The EA had historic flood maps which were released through Project 4 where the EA provided flooding details to developers and that would include data of all flood events. In the past, parish councils raised strong concerns regarding flooding levels in 2013 and 2014 and the EA took those concerns on board and removed that event from Product 4 flood maps and there had been no more work carried out to re-add the 2013/14 flooding events. Brianne added she had no dates of when that information for 2013/14 was likely to be re-added.

 

Brianne Vally explained historic flood outlines were not driving planning decisions. The EA was working to amend flood maps for planning purposes and they were to be updated by 31 July 2019. The Lower Thames remodelling was ongoing. The Borough used to be covered by two models but that had been combined into one.

 

Ian Thompson stated Thames Water had carried out works on the bund at South Lea Road at Poplars and work had also been completed at the next door property in the same bund area. He said he would go down to the area by boat and take photographs so the flood Liaison Group could look at the area in a different light. The Chairman suggested Ian Thompson get the photographs and then raise the issue with Thames Water and the EA.

 

Ian Thompson stated he had been through the file on the works to the tunnel underpass at Eton End and the Borough had started discussions with an architect and he had the drawings from 2015 with a proposal from the architect. He had spoken to the architect and he was an expert in flood barriers. A number of sand bags were placed in the area but they were now rotting so a permanent solution was required.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 103.