Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber - Town Hall, Maidenhead. View directions

Contact: Nabihah Hassan-Farooq  01628 796345

Audio-recording: To listen, click here or to download and listen later, right click and save as an mp3

Items
No. Item

21.

Welcome from the new Chairman

The new Chairman to welcome the new panel.

Minutes:

Councillor Gurch Singh introduced himself as the Ward Member for St Marys and the Chairman of the Maidenhead Town Forum. He introduced Councillor Bhangra as the Vice Chair and introduced members to introduce themselves. All new forum members were welcomed to the first meeting of the municipal year.

22.

Apologies for Absence

To receive apologies for absence.

Minutes:

None.

23.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 217 KB

To receive Declarations of Interests from Members of the Forum in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

Minutes:

None.

24.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To confirm the Part I minutes of the meeting of the Forum held on the 23/10/18.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting of the Forum held at the last meeting of the Maidenhead Town Forum be approved.

 

 

25.

Town Centre Parking Provision & Capacity

To receive an update on the above titled item by Barbara Richardson- Managing Director of RBWM Property Co.

Minutes:

Barbara Richardson, MD of RBWM Property Co gave a presentation on public parking provision. Members were informed that there were currently 3411 spaces as part of the current public parking provision. The Forum were told that as part of the regeneration that there were over 4000 new homes being built, community facilities, education, health & leisure and infrastructure being delivered.  It was outlined that there were currently:

 

·         734 spaces at Broadway/Nicholsons

·         79 spaces at Station Approach

·         1328 spaces at Hines Meadow

·         248 spaces at Magnet/ St Clouds Way

·         570 spaces at Stafferton Way

·         200 spaces at Braywick

·         111 spaces removed with 150 replaced

·         82 spaces at Grove Road

·         59 spaces at West Street

 

It was confirmed that there was a total of 285 temporary spaces available and that a total of 870 additional permanent spaces would be created as part of the regeneration programme.  This would give a total number of public parking spaces post 2022 of 4,281.. Members were reminded that private sector proposals were also being considered and that these would sit outside of the figures totalled above along with parking for private residential new build development. Members were informed that vicus way would be completed by July 2021 and that the works would begin by May 2020. The Forum were informed that the timetable for Broadway were subject to the wider masterplan and that practical completion was estimated for November 2022 and that handover for operation December 2022. Members were informed that there were strategic requirements in place for additional public parking provision. Operational requirements and considerations were taken into account for additional public parking provision. The Forum were told that overall, an addition 870 permanent public car parking spaces would become available for use by residents, retail, local business and Crossrail after regeneration.

 

At the conclusion of the presentation, Members asked a number of questions which included;

 

·         Councillor Reynolds asked whether the additional car parking provision included staff parking and it was confirmed that it had been included.

·         Councillor Singh queried whether consideration had been given to new residential sites and it was confirmed that these sites would incorporate their own parking provsion.

·         Councillor McWilliams asked whether basement parking at the St Clouds development had been confirmed and whether the cost of impact was considered. It was confirmed that basement parking was an expensive solution for parking and that on average, it cost the user double that of a surface car park  It was outlined that the developer, Countryside had included a basement car park in their initial bid and this would be taken forward and be available for public parking provision. Councillor Baldwin queried how many spaces had been reserved for the new Foreset Bridge School  and it was confirmed that there were 70 spaces.

·         Councillor McWilliams asked whether there were sufficient residential use spaces apportioned to the Landing site and whether this was adequate for resident use. It was confirmed that the original planning application for an entirely office/retail development submitted by the Landing developers  ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

Bell Street and Station Forecourt Works

To receive a presentation on the above titled item from Ben Smith- Head of Commissioning- Communities.

Minutes:

Ben Smith, Head of Commissioning- Communities gave a presentation on the above titled item. Members of the Forum were informed that the origins of the project were formed 2-3 years ago when a business case was presented to the Local Enterprise Partnership. It was outlined that there was a specific focus on health and wellbeing and that this would be carried through the enhancing of facilities and the regeneration of Maidenhead town centre. Members were told that there was a package of measures which would be undertaken to enhance pedestrian and cycle access and improve the public realm, accessibility and functionality of the station. It was outlined that the scheme was a key transport infrastructure project that would help to unlock investment and support the regeneration of Maidenhead town centre. The project would improve access and interchange at Maidenhead Station and would aim to improve links between the station and town centre. The scheme would also support the delivery of Crossrail and the Great Western Programme. Members were informed that delivery of the scheme would support the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership Goals in direct relation to infrastructure and would be a key element of the Maidenhead Town Centre Area Action Plan. Forum Members were also told that the scheme would contribute significantly towards both the strategic and local transport objectives for the borough.

 

The Forum were told that the scheme was being carried out to improve connectivity between the station and the town centre. There would be enhancements for pedestrians and cyclists with an increase of 250 cycle spaces. Members were informed that there would be a better bus interchange, improved road safety, positive improvements to environmental factors such as noise and air quality. It was also outlined that there would be a focus on improving public space by providing short stay, drop off, taxi and disabled bays. As part of the presentation, Members were informed that at Broadway Junction there was an average of 415 right turn ovements in the afternoon peak flow from Queen Street onto the A308. It was highlighted that over 75% of these movements would be removed from Queen Street resulting in improvements to safety and that this would mitigate road traffic accidents significantly. The Forum were told that residents would be communicated to via social media, and that there would be a live trial of the two way working system from the 1st July 2019.

 

ACTION- That findings and feedback of the two way working system of Broad be provided at the next maidenhead Town Forum on the 24th July 2019.

 

Members were informed that there had been high levels of engagement received from residents which had been positive, with the Facebook post reaching 13,094 views and receiving 234 comments. There has also been 159 survey responses received ( as of 12th June 2019). Key themes that had emerged from the responses from residents included; pedestrian safety not being a current problem; introduction of the two way Broadway system  ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

Street Furniture

To receive a verbal report on the above titled item by Ben Smith, Head of Commissioning- Communities.

Minutes:

Ben Smith- Head of Commissioning; Communities gave a verbal report on the above titled item. It was noted that there was a design guide that was available in the town centre which included details of schemes which had been developed and designed in line with the Highways and Maintenance Plan. Members were told that there was a function available to members of the public where they could report  number of issues of concern or for action via the RBWM website, via the “Report It” function and that this was being further developed in line with emerging issues raised by residents. The Forum were told that there had been a recent commitment by the Cabinet in relation to the reporting of potholes and that any potholes that were reported would be fixed within 24 hours and that this was an example of positive changes made via the new online reporting mechanism.

 

The Chair outlined that he had personally taken stock of the furniture across the town and had been out with officers to look at the condition of street furniture across the town centre. Councillor Bhangra highlighted that he had received feedback from elderly residents who felt that the furniture available in the town centre was uncomfortable.

 

A member of the public raised concerns with the walkway from St Mary’s house  to the Bad Godesburg underpass and that there should be a commitment to provide lighting along this walkway.

 

ACTION- That Ben Smith looks into whether the walkway from St Mary’s to Bad Godesburg underpass is privately or publically owned and whether any improvements or communications via this concern had been raised previously.

 

Councillor Stimson ( in attendance) highlighted that she had personally walked this route and had enquired and that the land was privately maintained.

 

ACTION- That Barbara Richardson liaise with local business owners whether any improvements including lighting could be looked at.

 

 

28.

Item Suggestions for Future Forums

The Forum is invited to make suggestions for future meetings.

Minutes:

The Chairman informed everyone present that future meetings would be a forum where ideas could be put forward and discussed as decided as to whether they were believed to be feasible.

 

Members suggested the following items for future meeting considerations:

 

·         Recycling, Waste and Sustanability in Maidenhead

·         Update on Regeneration projects in the town centre

·         Creative Commercial ideas to retain trade throughout the regeneration works

·         Invite Councillor Johnson

It was requested that item suggestions be emailed to nabihah.hassan-farooq@rbwm.gov.uk

29.

Date of Future Meetings

All future meetings to be held on the following dates (at 6.30pm):

 

·         24th July 2019

·         5th November 2019

·         25th March 2020

Minutes:

The date of future forum meeting dates were noted as follows;

 

-       24th July 2019, 6.30pm, Council Chamber, Town Hall- Maidenhead

-       5th November 2019, 6.30pm, Council Chamber, Town Hall- Maidenhead

-       25th March 2020, 6.30pm, Council Chamber, Town Hall- Maidenhead